The latest high-performance lens from Nikon combines both quality and versatility for DX-format users
SINGAPORE - DX-format photography ascends to new heights with the new NIKKOR AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80MM F/2.8-4E ED VR, the world’s lightest*1 16-80mm*2 DX-format lens with impressive optics features to enrich the photography experience, as announced today by Nikon Singapore Pte Ltd. This marks the first NIKKOR DX-format lens to employ various class-leading NIKKOR technology usually found in super telephoto lenses, including Nano Crystal Coat. The delightfully compact AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80MM F/2.8-4E ED VR is a 5x normal zoom lens with f/2.8 aperture at the maximum wide-angle position, bringing together the best of functionality and compact packaging for street and travel photography aficionados.
The fluorine-coated AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80MM F/2.8-4E ED VR, a first in the range, is designed for DX-format users who desire speed, accuracy and superior image quality. A combination of three superior optical elements, the Nano Crystal Coat, aspherical lens, and Extra-low Dispersion (ED) lens elements, work in tandem for refined image quality with minimised ghosting and chromatic aberration. With a built-in Vibration Reduction (VR) providing an effect equivalent to a shutter speed 4.0 stops faster*3, and the first adoption of an electromagnetic aperture mechanism for resolute auto-exposure control in a DX-format lens, the AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80MM F/2.8-4E ED VR prompts high-performance and remarkable quality.
“Constantly evolving to meet the needs of professionals and amateurs alike, the extensive NIKKOR DX-range of lenses has always empowered photographers to explore their potential in producing beautiful images and videos. The AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80MM F/2.8-4E ED VR now takes this experience further in a package that’s smaller and lighter than ever with renowned NIKKOR optics and refined technology. From a built-in VR system and electromagnetic aperture mechanism, to a fluorine coating and Nano Crystal Coat, these features collectively yield the expected quality and durability to present the lens as a welcoming addition, especially for the Nikon D300 series and D7000 series photographers,” said Hiroaki Ono, General Manager of International Marketing Division Imaging Group, Nikon Singapore Pte Ltd.
“By establishing the new standard for everyday travel photography experiences, the AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80MM F/2.8-4E ED VR is set to be a new core essential in every photographer’s kit.”
• Agile and compact: Photographers who are on the move for their travels in the suburbs, beaches and off the beaten path, now have the option to pack lighter and smarter for greater manoeuvrability when capturing movement or getting creative with shooting angles. Weighing only approximately 480g, the R1270 is the world’s lightest*1 DX-format compatible 16-80mm*2 focal-length range, 5x normal zoom lens.
• Rock steady: Be it under dim streetlights, between the junctions of a bustling marketplace, or on a stroll in the green fields, photographers will discover that crisp images of their subjects are attainable even without the use of a tripod. The built-in VR enables sharper pictures with its capability to provide the equivalent effect of shooting at shutter speeds up to 4.0 stops faster*3.
• Advanced trio of imaging optics: Combining the employment of Nano Crystal Coat, aspherical lens, and ED lens elements, remarkable photography performance is assured with less image distortion and unwanted light effects such as ghosting, lens flare and chromatic aberration. These cutting-edge optical imaging components are adopted together for the first time in a DX-format lens, giving photographers the flexibility and potential to seize unparalleled clarity.
• Smooth transitions: Another first for DX-format lenses, the AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80MM F/2.8-4E ED VR also incorporates an electromagnetic aperture mechanism. The aperture is controlled via electric signals from the camera body for precise auto-exposure control even during high-speed continuous shooting. From train-spotting to cave photography, expertly exposed shots can be achieved with great consistency.
• Heightened durability: Photographers often invest greatly in trustable equipment for a long-term use in all occasions of their imaging needs. The fluorine coat pledges to the requirement with the coating applied on the outer surfaces of the extreme front and rear lens elements to help repel dust, water droplets, grease and dirt, for easy cleaning. The unique NIKKOR lens technology, applied to a DX-format lens for the very first time, delivers higher durability and is more peel-resistant, even with a higher frequency of lens surface cleaning.
The AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80MM F/2.8-4E ED VR further complements the variety of NIKKOR DX-range lenses, being the new catalyst of an optical performance that keeps up with photographers constantly looking to push boundaries and pursue the anticipated shot of perfection. Among the other DX-range lenses available for a photographer’s lens ecosystem are:
• AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G, a remarkably compact micro lens with life-size (1x) close-up capability,
• AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR to adapt to a striking range from wide-angle to telephoto shots in captures of diverse everyday scenes,
• AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR II with its retractable barrel mechanism to realize a compact build yet deliver sharp stunning images,
• AF-S DX NIKKOR 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED for an ultra-wide-angle coverage and dramatic perspective in creative photography, and
• AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G to deliver smooth bokeh and outstanding sharpness for portrait shots and even low-light captures.
1 Among 5× normal zoom autofocus (AF) lenses with a maximum aperture of f/2.8 at the maximum wide-angle position for digital SLR cameras equipped with image sensors equivalent to the APS-C size available as of July 2, 2015. Statement based on Nikon research.
2 Angle of view is equivalent to that of a 24-120 mm lens in FX/35mm-format
3 Measured in accordance with CIPA standards using a DX-format digital SLR camera. Measured at the maximum telephoto position
The AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80MM F/2.8-4E ED VR will be available in late July 2015. For more information on the new AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80MM F/2.8-4E ED VR, and other Nikon products, please visit www.nikon.com.sg.
NIKKOR is Nikon's brand of photographic lenses. The NIKKOR name arose from adding "r", a common practice in the naming of photographic lenses at the time the name was established, to "Nikko", the Romanized abbreviation for Nippon Kogaku K.K., the original name used when the company was established.
Nikon's line-up of lenses for cameras with interchangeable lenses currently consists of more than 90 types of lenses, including ultra-wide-angle to super-telephoto lenses, fisheye lenses, zoom lenses, micro lenses, and PC-E lenses that support a wide variety of applications, as well as 1 NIKKOR lenses for advanced camera with interchangeable lenses.
In October 2014, Nikon announced its milestone achievement of 90 million in total production of NIKKOR lenses for Nikon interchangeable lens cameras. The achievement is also accompanied by the equally momentous 50 million total production mark for NIKKOR lenses equipped with the Silent Wave Motor (SWM) technology.
Nikon. At the Heart of the Image. Nikon is the world leader in digital imaging, precision optics and photo imaging technology and is globally recognised for setting new standards in product design and performance for its award-winning consumer and professional photographic equipment. Nikon Singapore Pte Ltd distributes consumer and professional digital SLR cameras, NIKKOR optics, Speedlights and system accessories; Nikon COOLPIX compact digital cameras; Nikon sports optics as well as the Nikon 1 advanced cameras with interchangeable lens system to Singapore and the Asia Pacific region, reaching over 50 countries.
In Singapore, NikonClub provides an active and vibrant community for owners and lovers of the Nikon brand, while Nikon School promotes and cultivates the passion for great photography.
For more information, please visit www.nikon.com.sg
Like us on Facebook at NikonSingapore www.facebook.com/nikonsingapore