Tokyo - Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the release of the Speedlight SB-700, a compact-sized, easy-to-use Speedlight offering multiple functions.
While the majority of digital-SLR cameras are equipped with a built-in flash, user creativity and expression is strictly limited as these built-in flashes are only able to light a subject from a single side and angle. While external flash units are tools for increasing creativity by maximising lighting possibilities, many users still find them difficult to use and think of it only as a way to capture images of dark or dimly scenes.
To allow users who are inexperienced with the use of external flash units to enjoy the benefits of more creative lighting, Nikon has developed the easy-to-use SB-700. The new SB-700 incorporates functions inherited from the SB-900, which has been extremely well received by professional and advanced amateur digital-SLR camera users. Smaller than the SB-600, the multi-functional SB-700 is much easier to use especially for beginners. As a result, the SB-700 is able to respond to the wide-ranging needs of Nikon digital-SLR camera users, who not only possess a broad range of skills, but also seek to increase their individual power of expression through photographs that truly accentuate light.
SB-700 primary features
1. High-end model functions in a compact body
The SB-700 is equipped with wireless lighting capability, a feature that is indispensable to creative lighting. Until the SB-700, the SB-900 has been the only Speedlight equipped with a Master function*. However, a condensed form of this function has been built into the SB-700, which is also equipped with accessories such as a bounce card and a diffusion dome.
* The Master function controls flash output from other Speedlights with multiple flash photography.
Switch layout and LCD
2. User interface with intuitive operation
A control layout and LCD panel design that make operating and applying settings simple, even for beginners, have been adopted. All settings can be applied in just three easy steps, and the LCD panel display is clear and easy to understand for intuitive operation.
3. Quick wireless control mode enables simple control of flash output for two remote flash groups
This is a new feature that allows the Master flash (SB-700) to control flash output levels for flash units assigned to two remote groups, making multiple flash photography setup simple.
4. A function that automatically detects and controls increases in the temperature of the flash head
The flash head is equipped with an internal temperature sensor that controls and suppresses significant increase in the temperature of the flash head that may occur in situations such as uninterrupted firing of the flash with wide-angle shooting to prevent damage to the flash panel.
5. Automatic detection and identification of dedicated hard color filters (fluorescent/incandescent) attached to the flash head
The color filters supplied with the SB-700 (fluorescent/incandescent) have been modified from the gel filters supplied with previous Speedlights to a hard type for greater durability, heat resistance, and ease of use. In addition, when one of these filters is attached to the flash head, the SB-700 automatically identifies it and transmits information to the camera for the optimal white balance setting.
Other SB-700 functions and features
- High-speed recycling time (time required between flashes) of approximately 2.5 s*
- multi-position power zoom function that automatically adjusts the zoom head position according to the lens focal length. Focal lengths of 24-120mm are supported.
- Three illumination patterns—Standard, Center-weighted, Even—to suit any scene
- Automatic switching between FX and DX formats
- Equipped with SU-4 type wireless multiple flash photography function so well received by professional and advanced amateur photographers. This enables wireless multiple flash photography suited to a variety of situations.
* When NiMH or alkaline batteries are used.